Brooks County Court House

Brooks County Court House

Brooks County Courthouse is located in Falfurrias, in the U.S. state of Texas.

The structure was designed in 1914 in the Classic Revival style by Alfred Giles (1853–1920) a British architect who emigrated to Texas in the 19th Century.
Many of the private homes and public buildings designed by Giles are on the National Register of Historic Places and have been designated Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks. 

Prior to the erection of the brick county courthouse, the local government housed itself in rented space.
The courthouse was named a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1977. Renovation began on the courthouse in 2006.

Judge James A. Brooks, who spearheaded the building of the courthouse, was honored at the structure's opening ceremonies. Two cornerstones were laid on October 29, 1914. On November 5, opening day was celebrated with a public picnic and a parade led by the local high school band. Brooks County was named after Judge Brooks, who was also a captain in the Texas Rangers.

The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 10, 2012.

  •  "THC-RTHL". Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
  •  "RE-Falfurrias Courthouse". Texas Escapes. Blueprints For Travel, LLC. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
  •  Spellman, Paul N (2007). Captain J.A. Brooks: Texas Ranger. Univ of North Texas. pp. 190, 192. ISBN 978-1-57441-227-7.
  •  Kelsey, Mavis Parrott; Dyal, Donald H; Thrower, Frank (2007). The Courthouses of Texas. Texas A&M University Press. ISBN 978-1-58544-549-3.